Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Born to Run

I recently finished reading the book Born to Run by Christopher McDougall.  It was about ultra extreme distance runners and this tribe of runners--who are basically barefoot.  There is a lot of science thrown in the book too about barefoot/almost barefoot running that really got me thinking about my own running and how it has changed over the years.  All the people in the book run because they love to and not because they have to (I can relate).  The distance runners are all pretty much top level athletes at ultras here in the states and despite their crazy miles are hardly ever hurt (the way they approach running).  I loved reading the book and my dad even enjoyed reading the book.  It was nice to have read the same book as him so we could talk about the different parts of it.  
My running has evolved from wanting super cushy shoes to wanting cushy shoes but with minimal heel to toe thickness change (think flip-flop instead of wedges).  I've noticed that I really feel more comfy in shoes that are minimal and I ache a little less and feel faster (I bet  I could be faster if I took the time to put in some effort at the track).  If you've got some time and want to know what the barefoot thing is all about I recommend picking up this book.  

No comments:

Post a Comment