Monday, August 19, 2013

Packing For Disney Races

When packing for any trip you don't want to forget anything that you might need.  When packing for a race away from home this is especially crucial.  You don't want to forget your running socks or your comfy shorts with the pockets for your gels because this could mean blisters or annoyance at the shorts during your race.  While the runDisney expos are great you still want to pack your tried and true clothes and such to make sure you have the best experience possible.
 For me this means a mini- first aid kit.  I sometimes get blisters and need this for day 2 of my racing but not very often.  However this has come in very handy after day 2 of racing for me to get around parks and such. Band-aids are a must for me and they have to be the flexible fabric kind since I find they stick best.  I also bring some medical tape and wrap stuff to make sure the bandage stays put and the wrap stuff is flexible so it doesn't "squish" my foots natural flexion.  The little blue squares are called 2nd skin and are the most amazing things in the world.  They are gel squares that alleviate blisters to the max.  Obviously not taking the whole tub so I put some in a snack bag and made sure to seal it good since they are "wet."
 Make sure you have all of your other toiletries.  I like to bring nail clippers and a nail file because who likes a just barely too long toe nail for a race.  Extra hair ties and snap clips.  I also make sure to bring an extra pair of contact lenses just incase.  If my eyes are super irritated or something happens to one I have an extra so I don't have to wear my glasses.
I like to put all my stuff in clear zip top bags to make things easier.  I take them out when I get to the destination but for airport security this is much easier.  Even if it isn't the "liquid or gel" item it gets a baggie so that I can easily find what I need and not spill my stuff everywhere.
 My suitcase packed.  If there is no over head bin room then the airline can check this bag... I just grab out my mini-bag that has my toiletries and I am good to go.  I have cereal and ramen noodles packed.  I love Disney food but let's be honest that sometimes we get a little nervous with running such a long distance race that certain foods/oils that we are not used to can upset our stomachs.  I eat cereal almost every morning before I run so I have no issues with milk and this as my pre-race meal.  Night before it's ramen for me.  Again, clothes in bags so that if something happens to the zipper on your bag your stuff isn't all over getting filthy.  Plus you can "suck" the air out of the bags and it is a little more compact.
Items I will be racing in are packed in separate bags that become my personal item (back pack).  I also put my shoes in the back pack.  No one wants to get to their final race destination and not have their race goodies with them so this stays with me at all times.  The other carry on bag is ok if it doesn't arrive... I've got my race stuff with me.

1 comment:

  1. You have it down to a science. I love the mommy and me trips. Don't forget the magic feather for this race. On the second race day you will be smiling with that DUMBO metal. Thanks Roseanne for the beautiful Dumbo skirt.

    ReplyDelete