Thursday, October 2, 2014

Rochester 1/2 Marathon

I ran the Rochester 1/2 Marathon on Sunday, September 21.  My mom, dad and Manfriend went to support me on and my crazy.  Of course I wore my favorite running attire-- a SparkleSkirt.  This particular one is called Jasmine and has beautiful silver threads running through it with blues and greens for the base color.  It was a little chilly at the start so I wore some arm sleeves.  
 Manfriend had to wear his Bills gear and he enjoyed getting cheers from the runners!
 I headed over to the start and it was a "line up where you belong" kind of thing.  I had to wait on the side of the bridge to line up since the marathon went off 15 minutes before the 1/2.  It looked to be a gorgeous day, but don't be fooled.  The weather around here changes quickly.
The first few miles went by un-eventful except for the first spotting of my support crew.  They were amazing and were able to catch me at three spots on the course and then at the finish.
 The second time they saw me I was not doing so awesome and totally missed them.  I was trying to work through a terrible side stitch that has become known as Mr. Stabby.
 I was still working on the stitch when I saw them at their 3rd spot on the course.  I handed them my food wrapper and kept on moving.  It was getting very gray and overcast.  I knew it was going to rain since it was in the forecast for the afternoon.  I tried really hard to beat the rain.
 I managed to have 2 miles to go when it started to sprinkle.  Ok, not so bad and it felt good.  But then with just over a mile to go it poured buckets on us.  Soaked.  And then 20 minutes later (after I was in the car heading home) it was sunny again.  I feel really bad for the marathon runners who had to deal with soaked shoes--I can only imagine the blisters and uncomfy feeling of drenched clothes.
 Although I had a side stitch and wasn't pushing the pace and ran comfortable the entire time I am quite pleased with my 1:50 clock time finish.  Looking forward to Disney, although I know that won't be an attempt at breaking 1:45.  Guess I have to wait til sometime next year for that as my next half is with a best friend and is entirely for fun as it is her first and we have plans to act like goof balls the whole time and chat away.

No comments:

Post a Comment