Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Crazy, have a kid, become insanely crazy

So Crazy for me started in middle school when I decided to run cross country and didn't know a single person on the team--paired with the fact that not a single person in my family runs.   All throughout high school I could never understand why people would want to run a marathon.  I mean, it's really far.  The idea of me running a marathon started to form in my freshman year of college and then I read about the Disney marathon that handed out candy at mile 22, took my first trip to Disney for spring break with the track team and became an addict.  That trip to Disney convinced my family that I *needed* to run a marathon and it would be Disney.  Yes, let's go to Disney and run a marathon without running a half marathon first to see what it is like and do no training other than what you run for your college team workouts.  Whoops!
first marathon
It didn't matter that I was exhausted and sore beyond belief.  I loved it and was hooked.  It was fun and I would sign up for more of that kind of crazy for the next 10 years--with the addition of a half marathon then a marathon.  I started to see the Ultra Runners as the ones that were crazy.  Who wants to run more than a marathon?

Apparently, marathons aren't enough for me anymore.  In some form of sleep deprivation and the need to feel like "me" again I decided that I was going to run an Ultra Marathon (anything that is over marathon distance).  Yeah, that's right.  I signed up for an ultra.  Apparently running is the only time that I feel like I have my stuff together so I figured if I run really far then I will really have it together.  My support crew (aka Mom) is already on board for this crazy adventure that will be 12 hours of running the same 1 mile loop over and over again.  I can run as much or as little as I want.  There is a bathroom and aide station every mile.  Will it be boring? Maybe.  Will it be fun?  Perhaps.  Who am I kidding--with mom involved it is always fun.  So on May 14th I will be running Mind The Ducks.  No idea how to train for this but I am thinking I've got a good start with my Goofy training that I do every year.

1 comment:

  1. Just run that loop 27 times and it is more than a marathon. You can do it!

    ReplyDelete