Friday, December 20, 2013

It's a Wonderful Life 5k

It was the most picture perfect day for the It's a Wonderful Life 5k... large snow flakes and a snow covered slush/snow street (just like in the movie).  I started the day by getting out the Christmas decorations.  Cinder Ella helped by swatting at me as I pulled her "hiding place" from the basement.
 My mom picked me up with Pal Karen and we headed to Bedford falls for the day.  First stop was the post office to get her holiday cards stamped with the special postmark for this weekend only.
 Next we wandered around the little town ducking into just about every little shop there was to get out of the cold.  We are talking frigid, single digit temps and snow.
 Race time was at 4:40pm and we were told to wear our reflective gear to the start on the bridge that George Bailey jumped off to be saved by Clarence.  I followed the memo well about being "lit up" for cars to see you.
 I had on my head lamp, arm bands, a Christmas light necklace and Prep and Landing tree flashlights plus my homemade tree skirt (it was made of three real tree skirts stitched together and elasticized).
 Despite the extremely cold temps there were a lot of runners.  When I finished I had little icicles on my eyelashes and chunks of ice on my cheeks.  Mom forgot to take a picture of that since we went into the local gym to warm up.
They had hot chocolate, coffee and cookies for us after we finished plus the usual water and bagels.  The gym was cute too with the decorations for the swing dance that evening.  I highly recommend this race to anyone that happens to be close by or wants to make a special weekend trip for the event.  Throughout the weekend they have different happenings in the town.  
Oh, and despite the slick conditions and all that I still ran the race in under 25 minutes.  Not a PR but definitely awesome for what is my coldest race ever.  Can't believe only 3 weeks left until Dopey!

No comments:

Post a Comment