Monday, February 1, 2016

2016 Half Marathon

With some of the new security measures that Disney has taken lately we decided to catch the 3:30 bus to make sure we had enough time.  First up was hitting up the Baby Care tent so that I could pump.  Critter nursed in the hotel room at like 1:45 am (little stinker wasn't going to let us sleep 'til the alarm went off at 2:15 for me to do that and get ready to be out the door).  Exiting the bus we stopped as we got closer to security and put the noise canceling headphones on Critter since it is noisy with music playing in the staging area.  Security wasn't an issue but they did take the time to go through each zipper pocket of the bags we had and us picking up Critter so they could check out the stroller a bit.  By the time we got through security and I pumped it was about 4:30.
 I kissed my baby girl goodbye and gave my mom a big hug before heading off to the medical tent to check my pump and head to the corrals.  I immediately headed to my corral and arrived after the long-ish walk to the corral at about 5:05.  The race starts at 5:30 so it was perfect timing where I wasn't too stressed about making it to my corral on time.  It was very humid out and I was HOT running.  I even thought, "hmm, wonder if my baby is too hot in that outfit?"  Um, nope cause when I was done within 5 minutes I was chilly--it was the damp chill outside of a 55 degrees.
 I was pulling my phone out to take a picture of my support crew and a quick check in on how I was feeling before heading to Magic Kingdom.  I did not stop for any photos because I knew I needed to get to the finish so that I could feed Critter.  I still enjoyed the race but it was odd to not stop for photo opportunities.
I caught up to my support crew and chEAR squad again at mile 8 and kept cruising along to the finish. My little critter was an angel the whole time, sleeping or just being awake watching the "parade" of runners go by or playing with her toy rattle lion.  My mom is amazing for taking on the job of caring for Critter and still making sure she was my support crew for a shoe change and such.
 I finished feeling very strong and know that I could have run a phenomenal half but with the full the next day had to hold it back quite a bit.  I ended up with a time of 1:52 and change--a time I would be happy to have run 2 years ago for "just a half" with lots of training.  I tossed on my long sleeve t-shirt that has gone to every runDisney event with me (it was supposed to be my throw away shirt at my first marathon but I tied it around my waist because I thought I might get cold and want it during the race since it was raining).  I finished that first marathon and the shirt comes every year but as a part of superstition/good luck.  We met a few characters and Daisy Duck loved Critter.
 Critter wanted to use my medal as a teether but that would be one expensive teether! We snuggled on the bus back to the hotel where I showered before we headed to the Polynesian for some Dole Whips and Tonga Toast (that I wasn't allowed to have since it contains dairy).
 We tried to take a nap but Critter wanted none of that so my amazing mom took her outside for a walk/snuggles so I could nap.  I was kind of groggy when all that happened and knew she left but woke up and sent her a text of where are you with my baby?  She was out on a bench with a sleeping Critter in her arms just chatting with her friend Miss New Hampshire that was staying with us and partaking in my support crew.   We went to get some food.  Yum, beignets.  Sugary, bad for you goodness.
 We went for a walk since the weather was nice and Critter really likes being in the stroller looking at everything.  We stopped by our resort campfire and toasted a few marshmallows before calling it a day and going back to the room to get gear out for the marathon and pack our bags since we would fly home the evening of the marathon.


No comments:

Post a Comment