Friday, March 18, 2016

Runnin' Of the Green Water Stop

We had a most wonderful day for our Water Stop volunteering at the 5 mile Runnin' Of the Green.  The water buffalo arrived at about 8:30 am and we started setting up tables and cups for the race that would start at 9:30.  This has become a family tradition and we've been at it for at least 5+ years now.  Even my little one got in on the action this year.  
 While we were busy filling cups my dad took Critter for a walk along the UofR campus and river.  With such nice weather expected there would be more runners than usual.  Temps would eventually hit low 60's for the day--nice compared to years where we've had ice forming in the cups within 20 minutes of filling them.
 Of course the top runners don't usually take water but this year a few did grab a cup and dump it over their heads.  While a few of us hand out water a few are also working to put out more cups and fill them with water.
 I usually help hand out the cups of water but this year I stood back on the side walk and cheered for runners and kept wiggling the stroller since it was almost nap time for Critter and she was starting to fuss a bit.  Plus I didn't want cups of water getting thrown on her as runners grabbed for them and I didn't want to have her away from me.
 My mom has a giant plastic toter filled with all sorts of St. Patrick's day decorations and accessories for wearing that we all put on to be festive for the race.  My mom and I also wore our Shamrock Sista sparkle skirts.  I love the pockets for my phone and keys, especially at an event like this where you don't want to have to hold a bag or purse (although I now get to tow around a stroller and such).  But, why should I have to dig through a stroller and diaper bag to find my keys if they can be in my leg pocket?
 It was a great turnout for the race and I am so glad that we do this every year and that my family enjoys it as well.  The family stuck around and went to the parade but of course I went home.  I am not a fan of parades unless they are Disney parades.  

No comments:

Post a Comment