Monday, May 16, 2016

Right to Run 19k

The Right to Run 19k was held on a beautiful, sunny day on May 7 in Seneca Falls, NY.  The race was a 19k (11.8 miles) as a nod to the 19th amendment that gave women the right to vote.  Of course,  I decided weeks ago that I *must* run in a costume and waited until 2 nights before to basically start crafting.  
The race started on a back country road.  Runners parked in a field and there would be shuttles to the cars after the race.  Of course my mom and dad came with me and took care of Critter while I ran so we cannot comment on how well this shuttle thing worked out. 
 I pumped in the car about 8:20 and then my mom helped me get into my costume since it required some safety pins to hold the sash in place.  The race started at 9:00 so by the time all the shennanigans of my pumping and costuming were over it was about 8:45.  I headed to the start and it was a pretty good turn out for the first year.  Just over 1,000 participants.  Kathrine Switzer (first woman finisher of the Boston Marathon) gave us some encouraging words to the effect of, "be fearless and fast..."
Go Mom-ma Go!
It was a warm run with the sun out the entire time (beautiful day) but there was basically little to no shade on the course as the first half was on back country roads between farm fields.  There was a slight breeze that was nice.  If the weather was rainy or windy it would have been brutal.  At about halfway we got to run along the lake for a bit and before heading into the town.  There were quite a few girls at the water stops cheering for us (I am thinking a girls on the run group or girl scouts volunteering).  They all loved my outfit and I slowed down so that I could hi-five all the hands that were out.  
 It was hot and sunny on the entire course and I ran into a young boy (high schooler) who was obviously struggling.  Walking and trying to stretch out a cramp.  I offered him a Gu and he accepted.  He gave me a nod at the finish area and was smiling, chatting with friends, wearing his medal.
 The finish area was nice with little tents/booths set up.  They don't look crowded because when I snapped these photos everyone was at the awards ceremony happening by the finish line.  Because of my costume I was photographed by several local newspapers and a guy from a nearby college that was in charge of the media stuff for the event.
He asked my permission to use my image/photo for next year as part of the media advertisements and to make a special cancellation stamp to be used during the event.  Of course I said yes.  I am obsessed with old post offices with all their character and details and love snail mail.
 Well, I was a top finisher so we stuck around for the awards to see.  I was the 7th overall female finisher and 4th in my age group (with top 3 getting awards).  Goes to show I am in a tough age group considering the overall winner was in my age group and therefore not eligible for the age group award double dip.
 When we got home my mom proceeded to hand wash my costume in the sink while my dad mowed the lawn and I took a shower.  Critter happily played on the floor for a bit.  It was a beautiful day and I am so beyond lucky to have such an amazing support crew in my mom and dad for these races.  I could not accomplish all I have been able to with running since Critter if it weren't for their continued support and much needed baby sitting.
 And here I am with Kathrine Switzer.  She loved my outfit but was even more excited that Critter had a sign on her stroller that said, "well done, sister suffragettes."   Yup, totally Mrs. Banks from Mary Poppins.  


No comments:

Post a Comment