Monday, January 28, 2013

Marathon 2013 (start through about mile 10)

So the 3am bus on day two was just as difficult as expected.  I feel that waking up on the second day is the hardest part.  I once again grabbed my cereal and ate on the bus to the staging area.  Here is my mom wearing the hoodie I made her.  It wasn't super chilly like we expected (from years past) but it was just chilly enough that I wore a snuggie to keep warm at the start. That bag in her hand if full of break and freeze packs in addition to her backpack carrying crocs, an extra pair of sneakers and socks plus my candies and some soda...among other items she may need (rain poncho, long sleeve t-for me, hot hands, sunglasses...)It's her Mary Poppins bag.
 Same Mickey red carpet entrance and lined up port-a-potty area prior to walking to the corrals.  Great fireworks at the start again and I also met up with Miss Kelly--but further up in the corral since we were a little "crowded" feeling yesterday and couldn't find a running groove that was comfy with all the people near us.
I skipped the characters that I saw the day before, knowing it was going to be a slow day for me (slowest on record for a marathon for me).  It was crowded on the course and didn't thin out at all how I am used to by about mile 17 when you exit Animal Kingdom.  I suppose the course change for the 20th is to blame for that.  More on my disappointment with the mile 20 spectacular they kept telling us about.
 Shortly before Magic Kingdom I met up with my Momma and stuffed myself full of half a bottle of Coca Cola, shoved ice down the front and back of my outfit, cold wash clothed my skin and told her (super early for me to have been this miserable) that I was so sorry it was going to be a long day.
 When I exited the Magic Kingdom I had my picture taken with Lilo.  She was missing the day before when I stopped to take a picture.  She grabbed my wand from me and shook it before giving it back.
 Here is my mom waiting for me at about mile 7.  I couldn't miss her with those LED Lights wrapped around her neck.  You can tell it is getting warm and she hasn't had time to take off her sweatshirt.  I must have apologized to her what seemed like a million times for having to wait so long and that it was going to just be a long day.  She could wait for me back at the hotel if she wanted.  Momma would have none of that.
 She gave me a bottle of Coca-Cola, packages of candy in baggies for my pockets and 5 break and freeze packs to stuff wherever for later.  I changed my socks and shoes at this point (like it much better when it is mile 13ish) and headed off to the increasing temperatures of the day.
New for the 20 year celebration we were allowed to run on the Richard Petty Speedway.  This was really cool and I enjoyed it.  They had music from the movie Cars playing.  We got to run on the "inside" track while they had all sorts of cool cars parked on the banked outer track.
It was a very steep down hill/uphill to enter the race track then a sharp turn onto the track.  It was my favorite part of the day--the part where the sun is just kind of up and everything starts to have that warm glow.  

my wand snuck in the left a little bit :)
Upon exiting the track I broke one of my freeze packs and started to cool down.  It was going to be a long day and I just felt "off."  Talking to others after the race they just were negative about it as well throughout the race, mile markers and course being different they just were "off" as well with their mental game.  
Cracking me up... the accordion club.  I've never seen them before on the course.  We usually get some cheerleaders and high school bands.  They had the biggest grins on their faces when I stopped to snap their photo.  Here is where the course heads towards Animal Kingdom via a back road.  (and it stinks...seriously- it is where they have the sewage treatment facility).

No comments:

Post a Comment