Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Marathon 2013 (mile 11ish-mile 18)

As you already know it was somewhat warm and I was not having a happy thoughts kind of day.  Smiling cause I'm at Disney but my brain is just not in the mood for this course change and weather.  I apologize for this being so negative, but I wanted it to accurately reflect my feelings during the race.  Most of the time I love running but this day was just not the day.
Anyways, Animal Kingdom and the road there did not disappoint in terms of characters and things to help keep you interested.  I love how at this part in the race you find clumps of characters instead of just one.  I also enjoy how they often try to use a parade float or something else as a prop for nifty backgrounds-you won't typically get this in the parks when you wait for a character.  I suppose if one was so inclined they could get some great autographs on the course.
 They had this "couple" asking for directions and asking why we were all going the same direction.  Meanwhile there was a bored "teenager" in the camping parade.  You can hear them for about a half mile saying things like, "ooh, that guys shorts are nice, I bet he is nice and could give us directions."  "Does anyone know when this parade will be over?"
 Only the coolest thing ever!  I have always wanted to come and see it decorated over and above for Christmas along with parades and such.  Just a little taste of the awesomeness that Disney Christmas has to offer.  Please take me for a week Manfriend!
 All this and we still haven't entered Animal Kingdom yet.  They also handed out wet sponges so people could squeeze the cool water over their heads or wipe off their arms/legs/faces.  Jiminy Cricket was the "entrance" to Animal Kingdom.  It was the Conservation Station train stop.
 Taking a quick look back as I wait to see some characters.  Yep, that 2 minutes you wait for characters means about 100 people pass you.  It also gives you a chance to check out some costumes and possibly notice trends in running outfits (like sparkle skirts or compression leg sleeves).  I noticed a lot of people with the leg sleeves a few years ago and figured there had to be something to them.  I bought a pair and they work great for me.  I haven't run in them but after racing hard I wear them around and they really help me to not feel as sore and recover quicker.  Also, I've worn them to fly and notice that my ankles don't swell as much.
 After Safari Minnie and Daisy I entered Dino-land at Animal Kingdom.  The song playing was Riding with the King by BBKing.  I thought of my Papa Bear because he likes lizards and dinosaur type things--he's part lizard in case you are wondering.  That was just the little boost I needed at the time.
After exiting Animal Kingdom I busted out my phone and texted and ran again.  Time was not a factor today.  I apologized for the slow go and realized that I was only at mile 14, ugh.  Usually I leave AK and it is about mile 16/17.  I skipped the "grave" site where they have undertakers with shovels and you can lie down next to a tombstone.  I wouldn't have gotten up.
Trekking on down the "boring stretch" that was made more boring this year en route to the mile 20 extravaganza.  The highway to get to Wide World of Sports was nice and 3 lanes wide allowing me to stretch my legs and pick up the pace a bit.  I started to get into a groove and then BAM, single lane road going into Wide World of Sports.  Narrow and crowded meant unhappy and watching all the people leaving (already ran past mile 20) meant more unhappy me.  I had to look at the thousands of people for almost 3 miles (it wasn't any more pleasant on the way out seeing all the people heading in and knowing their frustration at seeing all of us).

No comments:

Post a Comment