Friday, February 1, 2013

Marathon 2013 (mile 18-the end)

So the race isn't going how I would have liked.  I am not exactly un-happy but I am not exactly enjoying the race as much as I have in the past.  I feel extremely guilty that my momma has to sit in the grandstand bleachers for longer than ever before.  I know she won't wait until I am closer to the finish to hang out up there (she has to get a good spot and won't leave).
We head out to the Wide World of Sports on a single lane out and then back.  It is awful.  People are hot and walking.  You can't really get "around" or find your stride.  I am frustrated and thinking, "this mile 20 extravaganza better be worth it."  We take almost a full lap on the track.  A high school team is having practice on part of it (about 75 meters).  The kids waiting their turn for block work/hurdles aren't even paying attention to the endless stream of people running by.  No words of encouragement, etc... perhaps it is me but as a coach I would have encouraged my athletes to cheer for and the runners, clap, good job as they rotate through their turns.  Oh well.
 We head past a giant Mickey balloon--which was very cool but it could have just as easily been put up on the traditional route in the highway divide of grass.  We get to run on the track of the baseball stadium where the Atlanta Braves have their spring training.  There are some people from the chEAR squad here.  My mom was going to try and catch the bus to be at this part of the race but was told no guarantee on her getting to the finish in time.  Even if she did make it to this part I wouldn't have been able to stop and get things from her.
Now, here comes the mile 20 extravaganza.  I hope you aren't holding your breath.  Giant puppets of characters (6 total) and a stage near the arch that had a few characters on it you could stop for pictures.  Characters stayed on stage and you were on the ground.  The arch had a picture of each of the previous years marathon medals.
 That's all.  That's the mile 20 extravaganza.  After this section of about 300meters where it was about 2 1/2 lanes it went back to single lane and past all the poor people that were still heading into the Wide World of Sports complex.  Fortunately mile 22 wasn't far away and it was Hollywood Studios Time.
 Usually there are a few more characters, but the park was way past open at this time (I am usually running through about as it opens).  I passed on Monster's Inc. dudes since it was the let's just finish mode and I was basically frazzled mentally trying to get through.  I had to keep thinking, "coolest medal ever," and "I've got to keep my perfectly Goofy status.  I've only got 4 miles to go, I can't quit now."
 Thanks for greeting me as I left Hollywood Studios.  I texted my mom just before entering EPCOT to let her know about a mile to go.  She was probably relieved to get that message.  I know she worries when things aren't going well for me.  The one year I ran with a fever and upset stomach--it was awful, but not as awful as this in terms of time.
on the Boardwalk
 Hello EPCOT!  I love that you have a character at almost every nation.  Most people don't stop at this part of the race knowing how close the finish is as well as starting to notice the time and possibility of hitting a specific time.  Stopping at this point is also very painful.  You practically cramp up immediately stopping for the character photo.  Also, EPCOT is kind of rolling with lots of mini up and downs with twists.
I skipped Duffy the Disney bear and headed to the finish.  The photos of me finishing are still on my Momma's camera card.  I felt so bad when I saw her I cried and apologized for making her have to wait so long.  She said she was just glad I was ok and proud of me for finishing. She felt bad for me that I was so miserable and not having a good day. 
 
Just in case you are wondering I drank a water and powerade at each aid station or 2 cups of the same at each station.  This is in addition to 1/2 a bottle of powerade at the start corral plus a bottle of Coca-Cola.  I went potty at mile 4ish and that was it.  I sucked down a bottle of water after finishing plus 1/2 a bottle of Coca-Cola on the bus back to our hotel.  It was that hot out.  I finally did go to the bathroom about an hour after finishing the race.  
Despite my miserable feelings during the race it all worked out in the end.  I had a Mickey Bar and took a nap.  Then we had dinner:


No comments:

Post a Comment