Friday, May 24, 2013

Hansons Marathon Method

Training for the Disneyland Dumbo Double Dare I am using the Hansons Marathon Method.  In the past I've used other training methods and after reading this book have decided that I am going to follow this and see how things go.
The training plan basically has you running 5-6 days a week but the miles are more evenly spread between the days instead of like the plans I've followed in the past with most miles for the week coming from the long run.  A lot of what I read made sense to me since the training seems similar to what I did while competing in college.
I've written down all the workouts in my notebook with paces for my goal time based on what I ran Rochester in.  Knowing that I ran Rochester in 1:53 and 1:51 the year prior (both with little training) I've set my goal to be a 1:45 at Disneyland.  Of course weather will play a factor but I am going to train for that time.  If all goes well I will follow the Hanson Method for Dopey in January with a few little tweaks due to the 4 day event that Dopey entails.

2 comments:

  1. Hi - I'm also considering using a modified Hanson approach for Dopey. What tweaks are you considering?

    I've never run a full, but my half pace is about 7:30. Was thinking that as long as I slow down to about 9:00 pace for ALL FOUR RACES then I should be fine if I've built up to Hanson-prescribed weekly mileage. Would make it basically four days at easy run pace for a total of 48 miles. Am I missing something?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ih Geof--I've never used Hanson before but am starting 6 weeks right now for the Dumbo Double. Having done Goofy the past 8 years I've learned that you do have to go slower than a normal half race pace (think long run pace) for the half if you want to survive the full feeling pretty good. I haven't decided how I plan to modify the plan quite yet and want to see how it goes training for Dumbo and where I think a tweak will work for me.
      I have a feeling that the Monday's after a long run will become a cross train day (I own an elliptical) so that I can keep the miles to around or under 50 (after that I personally fall apart). The "speed" workouts might become fartleks or additional easy days depending on the weather (snowy upstate NY). The hardest part of the Dopey is going to be getting up 4 days in a row early to get to the start (marathon day that has always been the hardest part for me). The goal is to get the medals so any pace that you feel comfortable with and will get you to that finish line is great (be prepared for your slowest and most fun race and have the camera for all the photo opportunities on the course). Good luck and let me know how your training is going!

      Delete