Friday, June 1, 2012

Goofy 2007

1/2 Marathon--HOT
Year number two of Goofy was hot and miserable.  I handed  my mom the camera at mile 3 and said no stopping for pictures I just want this to be over.  She didn't even really take any pictures either due to the extreme humidity in the air and it making things blurry.  I looked like I showered in my clothes by mile 3 and completely miserable at mile 8.  Fortunately it was only the half, but that didn't make it any better.  There was no chance the weather was going to break.  
swimming
We went to breakfast after the race and I enjoyed a swim in the pool.  I thought there'd be more people swimming but I suppose they were at the parks or sleeping in the AC rooms.  I was extremely lucky my aunt and uncle had decided to come to Disney with us.  They took us in their car to the nearest Target where we bought a large package of instant cold packs that you break.  I am convinced they allowed me to survive the marathon.  They are now a travel item we always bring, in addition to hot hands and extra layers for pre-race.  
Marathon day the weather wasn't any better and I'd be exposed to the heat, humidity and sun for longer.  I grab a break and cold pack from my mom at mile 8ish and stuff it in my sports bra to help cool my core temperature.  I'm drinking at least one cup, if not two at each aid station to stay hydrated.  I'm convinced it's too hot for characters and want it to rain or get cloudy so I pass on taking the camera.  I grab a second cold pack from my mom at mile 13ish and stuff it in my sports bra.  She also hands me a baggie full of Pez candies and some salt packets.  I chew the salt packets and they taste so good with all the sweating I've been doing.  
about mile 18 Marathon
mmm...coca-cola
Goofy!
I am cranky and drenched in sweat.  It is like buckets of water were poured on me.  I am looking forward to seeing my aunt and uncle around mile 18ish.  We stayed at the All-Star Sports so I gave them directions for getting on the course there.  They were struggling with the heat just climbing the hill there and can't imagine how I am running in the weather.  They put a bottle of powerade in an ice bucket and brought it up the hill.  The cold drink tastes good.  I am soaked with sweat and my uncle slowly pours the melted ice water from the bucket over my head.  I stuff some ice cubes in my sports bra, eat more pez and salt packets and grab the cold pack from my relatives before heading into the last 8 miles.  
I cling to the cold pack so that I can break it around mile 22.  Headed into MGM Studios I see a runner down near the Backlot Tour with a medical bike person.  I toss the cold pack--unused to the medic and say they need it more.  I'm sure they found that to be completely bizarre that a runner was carrying one.  
shaker barrel
When I finish the race I take a few character photos before going for a swim and having my Mickey bar.  It was mentally challenging as well as physically challenging.  We went back to the campfire sing-along with my aunt and uncle.  I tried out the tired feet barrel thing and was in love.  It made me laugh since it tickled but it also felt really good on my sore legs, shaking them out!


Here is a photo of one of their displays about their "theme" for the year at Disney... more details on the importance of this next post!

No comments:

Post a Comment