Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Heigh-ho, Heigh-ho it's off to work we go....

I left the hotel at 6:30 , but no breakfast for us behind the scenes so I had a bagel in the room.  We were all shuttled over to the park where we did a walk through of our role in the sub opening ceremony before costumes and makeup.  After the whirlwind of costumes and makeup (we only had 2 hours) it was off to the opening ceremony where we walked across stage in a line (we were told to be careful and to wave our right arms so we didn't block our faces) to the tune of Heigh Ho, and then right off stage and backstage again.  Our families were put in a special viewing area with a big screen to watch the live event.  While they waited they were introduced to some new "prototype/test" Disney stuff.  They were describing some 3-D shooting game to me... Guess what?  It's part of Toy Story Mania now.  Very cool. Then my family had some time to explore before our event (other families not as much time).  I'm telling you everything was precisely planned and ran very smoothly.   
screen in the viewing area
on tv
We had about an hour to eat lunch, more boxed lunches but this time at the Inn Between.   We all managed to chat about what we'd experienced so far... the Mansion dream jobs getting to walk the track that morning, Parade Performers dancing all afternoon and the Pirates creating their "characters."  The pirates had a lot of fun, just like us since they really had the opportunity to interact with guests.  One pirate was cursed with being literate and murmured "Finding Nemo... just find the bloody fish already."  Another pirate was cursed with always wanting the 7th guy and a piece of the 8th.  They looked great and after their show they were allowed to ride Pirates of the Caribbean in their costumes. 


My boat leaves in about 30 minutes!
getting ready to board the boat with the crew
Show Time!!!  Well, not for me just yet.  We were each given a 45 minute blocks of time and I was the 4th slot.  We got to sit at Aladdin's Oasis and wait our turns or stand on the dock.  I needed to sit and be away from the busy area.  I was so nervous.   So I sat and waited and stretched.  We were all pretty nervous sitting there waiting.  But we had lots of reassurance that we would do great from the camera crew and our hosts Donna and Rebecca.  I can only imagine how exhausted the crew was from having to be prepared to get us early and help us out all day.  They were amazing and continued to smile through it all. 
Skipper Randy introducing me
Then a Skipper named Jack came back on the way to the bathroom and saw us sitting there nervous.  He gave us some confidence and helped settle some nerves.  "Don't worry about it kids, nobody knows what you are supposed to be saying and you don't have to drive the boat.  You have visual cues in the jungle and once you get out there it will just happen."  Fortunately he was right.
waiting for them to load the boat so we can get the show on the water
Here in the jungle...
looking for a cue/sensor
I don't know how I managed to get through the first boatload of people, probably not that hard other than the fact that I had a media camera in my face and a giant light to soften the shadows.  Round two, it wasn't so bad.  It was the same group of people from the first boatload for the camera.  They were asked if they would be willing to ride the attraction twice, sign some legal document about their image/likeness being used for promotions and given something as a thanks for doing this. There was a nice couple on my boat that had gotten married the day before and were wearing thier bride/groom ears.  They laughed at the jokes and saw me later in the day and told me they loved being on my boat.  Third boat load a piece of cake, even though it was just regular, not specially picked, dock people.  I can't believe it went by so fast.  My official skipper duties had come to an end.  

whew...it's over
wearing the jacket
After we all went they whisked us to the upstairs line area (only used in really busy months) and did wrap up interviews with us before returning to costume and makeup for the last time.  We tried to convince them that we should get to keep the hats but it wasn't going to happen.  I know the pirates wanted parts of their outfits, pieces were actually worn in the movie.  We were brought back to the hotel, where I once again scrubbed my face.  Then I got ready for the Dream Job Closing Ceremony at the hotel.  

with my parents

No comments:

Post a Comment