Thursday, September 12, 2013

Half Marathon Disneyland 2013

After the 10K we headed to the parks to check them out with our last day of our passes.  I had a headache and felt pretty awful (we ended up leaving the parks-gasp in horror).  You know me and I do not like to leave Disney, ever!  We did catch the Play Parade (thanks momma for holding a spot for us while I sat in the shade and fan area from lunch with a bag of ice on my face thanks to a slight allergic reaction to the heat and sun block.
 My headache was not going away despite eating and drinking.  We ended up at the First Aid center for some asprin but that did very little in making me feel better.  The heat really got to me after the 10K.  Would I be doomed for the half the next day?
 Those Mickey beignets were delicious and I really wanted a Dole Whip but just wanted to lay down and not feel so icky.  We headed back to our room and I slept through until the next morning when we had to get up for the half marathon.  Bed for me was about 6:30 that night and I planned on getting up for the fireworks to watch from the hotel but that didn't happen.
 I felt great the morning of the half other than the hot weather.  It wasn't as humid as the day before so I just figured I'd still take it easy since I do not tolerate heat well.  (Sorry, no pictures since they are on my mom's camera).  I ran very well all things considered and had a great race.   I felt good most of the race.  Also, my first race using music to run with.  I made the decision knowing the course wasn't through parks and I would need a distraction from the weather.
 The music was great and provided me the inspiration I needed right on cue as luck would have it.  As I was starting to feel like ugh, 3 miles to go I heard Ever, Ever After... which reminded me of Luke and how he proposed to me at the finish line 3 years before so I pushed through.  The back area of California Adventure had a "techno" version of I Wanna Be Like You playing and I heard the words, "hit it Papa Bear," and thought of my dad (my papa bear).  Piece of cake after that.
 My very precious Dumbo Medal that I held so it wouldn't clang or get scratched.  Of course I hung my new medals ASAP on my wall.  There isn't much room left so good thing there is only 2 more Goofy's til I have 10 on there (but that Dopey might put the medals over the edge).

No comments:

Post a Comment