Monday, April 27, 2015

Pregnancy Week 20 and the flooded basement

We had our 20 week ultrasound and everything with critter is great.  Critter HR is 143, my BP is normal (I forget now what they said) and everything looks healthy and growth on track for Critter.  I haven't gained much weight but because Critter is healthy and on track with their measurements they aren't worried because I will gain weight when it is time apparently.
Still going out for a run most days and carrying my Camelback hydration vest.  I never thought I would like one but it is actually comfy once you get used to carrying it.  It took me about a week of small adjustments and to adapt to the extra weight but it has been great.  I was given the green light to continue running as much and as long as I am comfortable.  Manfriend specifically asked if I could keep running and they were like, "she has been all along and it is good for her and baby as long as she isn't pushing the pace and is comfortable."
I ran Seneca 7 on Sunday.  It is a relay race and I ended up running just shy of 13 miles for the day.  I felt great. My mom and I had a mini mommy and me trip.  The morning of the relay critter was jumping around and my mom got to feel Critter move.  I will make a separate post about the relay.  Well, Friday night I get home from work and am going to go for a short run before leaving for our relay adventure to find the basement flooded.  
We are talking ankle deep water by the sump pump and probably half way up my big toe at the bottom of the stairs.  Of course I call my dad right away to ask what can I do right now.  He is a life saver and had a pump in his basement they use to drain the hottub that my sister graciously offered to bring over for me to start pumping the water out of the basement (and save me 40 minutes from the there/back drive) so that my dad could come over the next day and put in a new sump pump for us.  
bottom of the stairs, oh the joy of finding this
I called Manfriend and told him I was not going to deal with this myself that he needed to come home from work.  We disconnected the dryer vent and ran the hose out the vent and to the gutter to drain the water away from our house.  The pump ran for about 2.5 hours, I turned it off for an hour when we went to get a new sump pump and then ran it another 2 hours before going to bed.  
a good chunk of water touching the bottom of the golf bag and up the wheel
As the water level was going down I took some of our smaller throw/area rugs and dragged them out to the driveway and laid them out to dry.  Our neighbors kept asking if we needed help but fortunately most of our stuff was in plastic toters in the basement so we really just needed to get the water out and then wipe the bins to prevent mold/mildew.   


 I ran the pump for about 2 hours before my dad arrived on Saturday morning to help put in a new sump pump for us.  After he did that my mom came over with her rug cleaner to suck out water from the area rugs so that we could carry those outside to dry.  Our driveway looked like the worst yard sale ever with throw rugs, camping chairs, a few tents and other odds and end items that needed to dry out. We wiped bins dry and put a few fans on the floor to help circulate air and help it dry--in addition to turning the dehumidifier back on.
I am so thankful that my parents helped us out with this crazy and that it wasn't worse (thanks plastic bins!).  Huge thanks to my Papa Bear for giving up a few hours of precious cottage time on a most gorgeous day to help us out when I know there is lots of work at the cottage to be done to prep for summer.  Big thanks to my mom for spending hours sucking water off the floor and then spraying the walls with bleach/water mix to help prevent mildew and banning me from the basement while she did this cause it would not be good for me or Critter.  My dad also put the battery in our lawn mower (yup, that time of year) and made sure it started up for us.  Of course it snowed about 3 days later.  When you are ready to paint/do work at your house let us know and we will be there to help!

1 comment:

  1. Well at least from what I can see, your basement is looking pretty good. Just a little bit too much moisture, huh? After everything is dry and normal, are you going to redecorate or are you now scarred from the water damage that you find the idea of the water creeping back in intimidating? Don't be afraid to take back your home!

    Gregg Hogan @ American Basement Solutions

    ReplyDelete