Monday, April 18, 2016

Happy Early Birthday--Magic Kingdom Original Park Map!

My mom was going through things in her basement and one of the bins/boxes was stuff from Grandpa's basement.  In the box was a folded paper that said, "Cathy's map.  Do not touch."  She unfolded the paper and found this amazing gem:
 It was a map of the Magic Kingdom from the year that Walt Disney World opened and they had gone on a family trip and stayed at the Contemporary.  When Aunt Cathy came to town my mom asked if she knew what it was and she said, "no, but that is mine."  After seeing the map she said I needed to have it so an original park map was mine.  Cue happy dance.
 Knowing that my office is basically a Disney room for my running stuff my parents decided that for my birthday they were going to have the map custom framed for me.  I went to the store with them and picked out the frame and the girl working helped pick out the mat colors to coordinate with the map without taking away from the amazingness that it is.
 I love how it fits in perfectly with the colors in our office and we went for some special UV protective glass that will prevent fading.  My Papa Bear came over and hung it on the wall for me since it is quite heavy and I wanted it done right.  I did hang all the photos below myself though so I am perfectly capable of drilling holes in the wall and finding the studs for heavy items (like the curtain rod for my medals).
 So here is what our office looks like from the doorway.  The top curtain rod I hung up and since I have run out of room my dad (since he already had his tools out for the map) hung a second curtain rod below it for me to continue my medal collection.  Only Disney medals are displayed.
 When you sit at the office chair by the computer this is the wall of photos and pins.  One is all my Dumbo pins and the other is my race pins.  I love how I get to display important to me race stuff in our office where I can see it every day.
But that framed park map is really the icing on the cake of the office.  There are so many cool things about the map.  I love looking at the names of the attractions and details in the map.  Some things have changed but some are still the same at the park.  For a Disney lover like me it's perfect.  Thanks so much Momma and Papa Bear for the amazing birthday gift and of course Aunt Cathy for knowing that the map would have a good home with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment