Friday, January 24, 2014

2014 WDW Marathon The first 8ish miles

I am not sure what happened but the weather turned out to be about as perfect as it could for a marathon after the heat and humidity of the half marathon on Saturday.  I was feeling a little tight as I usually do after the half so I was just going to see how it went and go until I crashed and burned (meaning I had to walk more than run).
I met up with Kelly again in the hotel lobby and she said she didn't feel well.  I am such a good friend I told her to move away from me and leave me alone.  She said it was her allergies since they came and cleaned her room.  She typically leaves the sign out that says "resting" so the allergens aren't disturbed too much during her stay.  The race started in the usual fireworks and then those quiet first few miles.  I stopped for the pirates despite the 7 minute wait.  I figured if I already felt kind of icky on my legs I might as well make it a picture day.
 Support crew check in at mile 3.  Yes I will want a change of shoes and my legs hate me so I am just going to go until I cannot go anymore then it will be a dawdle of misery but I will have lots of photos.
I stopped for almost every character in the Magic Kingdom and once again soaked in the most Magical Mile in the world.  The castle was draped in the icicle lights today and I just melt at the sight of it.  Just thinking of running through the Magic Kingdom I get all smiley and the world just seems to slow down so I can soak in the magic and recall all those happy feel good moments from that small part of the day.


Exiting the Magic Kingdom is the usual Reedy Creek Fire Department.  It is Disney's fire department and they employ 200 firemen (it was on one of their keep your mind occupied signs on the side of the road).  If you are in need of some Disney music to get your park fix Reedy Creek Radio plays songs that are featured in the parks and many that are not available for purchase.
Support crew spotted at mile 8 and a most needed shoe change.  The humidity in the early morning plus walking through the grass to the corrals means without the change I would have horrible (or as my mom puts it horrid) blisters.  I still get a few blisters but nothing compared to what I used to get without the shoe change.
 Apparently my Papa Bear was tired of holding his magic blinking wand and stuck it in his hat.  He is entertaining.  My mom had everything all set for me when I arrived too.  A poncho set out for me to sit on, my shoes out with the fresh socks in them and a towel to wipe off my feet.  My fresh water bottle and a cup of ice if I was hot and needed to cool down a bit.  She also had a Coca-Cola (laugh now but sometimes I crave it something fierce during the race and often suck down almost her whole one in the whopping minute I am there doin' my thang.
The best support crew ever!  After I changed shoes and took off running a Team in Training coach told my mom she never thought of changing shoes and that it was about the best idea ever.  I once again told my mom that I was going until I couldn't go anymore but I'd still make it to the finish.  I was still very uncertain about the 16 mile long run and knew about the extreme negative feelings that I had with the course change the previous year at mile 18 (right where it always gets a little rough for me).

No comments:

Post a Comment