Monday, April 28, 2014

Flower City Challenge--awesome!

Luke and I left the house around 6:20am to head over to the start of our races.  My half marathon started at 7:30 and his 5k started at 7:45.  We arrived with plenty of time but I wanted to be safe and not sorry.  As you can see from our walk over to the start it was cloudy and stayed that way for the duration of the race.  We did not see sun until about noon.  
 Before the race I met up with some of the girls from Moms Run This Town, Rochester.  Yes, I joined their group and no, I do not have children but my fur baby counts.  They are super nice and very supportive everyone and their running.
 There were bagpipers on the bridge as we headed to the start.  There was also a bag piper at the entrance to the cemetery (not sure if that was good or creepy).  I had my sparkle pockets stuffed with my camera (for before and after photos), a bottle of powerade, phone, car keys, chap stick, and my honey stingers (energy gels).  My mittens also ended up in the pockets later.
 People lined up in their projected finish time spots and there were a lot of pace group leaders for the event.  I decided to start with the two-hour group but once the race was underway I was feeling great and sort of just pushed a little bit, but not too far out of my comfort zone.
 I was feeling great and cruising along with ease until about mile 7 where we hit the hills.  I kept moving along but was in a funk til about mile 9 (amazing, where the hills basically ended).  Around mile 10 I was ready to be done but I sucked it up and did the best I could, slowing down minimally.
 I finished in 1:45:18 and I do believe that is good enough for some awesome corral placement for Disney in January.  Last year I ran it in 1:53: 24.  I called my Momma to let her know how I did and later in the day I get a call from my Papa Bear all excited about how well I did.  He also caught a pike off the dock that morning so he had a lot to be happy about.
 Luke was exhausted from getting up early and took a nap.  I did take a small nap and made myself a yummy berry smoothie and some pasta for lunch.  The sun came out and I took little Thunder Paws (my fur baby) for a walk in the yard.  She scared the chipmunk that was trying to hide under our grill.
 With me nailing a 1:45 with pushing myself, but not too much I knew I needed to take some time and re-evaluate and re-vamp my training plans.  New times had to be entered so that I can keep improving and having it feel "somewhat easy" and not really out of the comfort zone.  I am never going to be a runner that can go into that staggering in to the finish place.

No comments:

Post a Comment