Friday, April 25, 2014

Pre-race Habits

As runners we have these little things that we do out of habit before races, especially longer races.  In high school I always wore the same scrunchi and would only wear that scrunchi on race day.  Some of my "superstitions" have gone away (most in fact) but now that I run longer races I have developed other habits that set me up for success (with the main hope being a lack of intestinal distress mid-race).

A few days or the night before a race I like to trim my toe nails and paint them a pretty color.  My latest favorite has been "Believe it, Do it."  It's a bright pink color and is "Disney theme" in my personal opinion.  If my feet are going to blister or look a wreck after the race at least my toe nails will be purdy.
Dinner the night before consists of Ramen Noodles.  Not just any Ramen but this specific version--styrofoam cup even if I am at home.  They travel well and it's a "pasta."  I know they do not upset my stomach and the salt content might be through the roof but at least I will sweat out a huge chunk the next day or it keeps me hydrated by making me thirsty.  

 Of course, I always like to have my stuff together the night before or days before.  I picked up my packet the other day with my Momma and I am ready to go.  Love my bib number too--one of my last superstitions that has carried over--even numbers.  If it is an even number I love my bib even more.
The morning of the race will be a bowl of cereal with some milk.  That's how I prep for a big race.

No comments:

Post a Comment